Re: Fw: dd oflag=direct performance

From: Michael J. Baars
Subject: Re: Fw: dd oflag=direct performance
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:40:37 +0100

Hi Leslie,

It's integrated MMC memory storage. The size of the diskfile is now at 64
blocks of 1048576 bytes (see the makefile), that should have made dd run at
5663.7168 mb/s. Instead it is running at approximately 24.5 mb/s.

Internally we read 1 gb and we write 1 gb. The file is therefore copied exactly
16 times from source to destination. That will get our measurement pretty
accurate.

Your are talking about fstrim, while you should be talking about the
fragmentation of the file instead, I suppose. The performance of the test is
indeed affected by fragmentation of the file. In theory the test can run at
even higher speeds, you are right about that.

Regards,
Mischa.