Re: Is --enable-single-binary=symlinks a problem for a distribution?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Is --enable-single-binary=symlinks a problem for a distribution?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 00:53:56 +0100

On 26/08/2020 17:52, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
Hi Padraig et al,

in downstream openSUSE, we're considering to switch to building with

   ./configure --enable-single-binary=symlinks ...

per default.  Maybe SUSE's SLES would follow later.

Are there any specialties to consider, or any drawbacks known?

The main change that comes to mind could be startup time
and memory use, due to more shared libs linked to the main binary.

For Fedora I created a coreutils-single package variant
(from the same source rpm), that one could install
in places where space was a consideration
(like embedded or container images etc.).
Since space is the main consideration, I also configured
--without-openssl --without-gmp for that package variant.

cheers,
Pádraig