Re: date: unclosed date string comments

From: sunnycemetery
Subject: Re: date: unclosed date string comments
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:09:56 -0400

2020-08-06, 01:36, Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils):
This is a lack of diagnosis that adds up to it being a feature that a comment which does not close is closed implicitly by the end of the string.

I can certainly live with that.

Once this kind of thing escapes into the wild, the safest thing is to document it. A fix for this (like making date exit with a diagnostic and failed termination status) will break something for someone somewhere.

I agree.  Do you think I should submit a patch?

You can fix looseness in compilers more easily because when you tighten something in a compiler, the diagnostic blows up in the face of a developer.

If you tighten something in a utility, something breaks in the field, because it is a run-time check.

Well put.  The historical context was interesting as well.  Thank you.