Re: Extend uniq to support unsorted list based on hashtable

From: Yair Lenga
Subject: Re: Extend uniq to support unsorted list based on hashtable
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 08:47:46 +0300

Hi Assaf, Thanks for prompt reply

You bring up good points about POSIX compliant, and the availability
of the datamash tool.

For the first point, I would note that most coreutils goes well beyond
POSIX. Consider "cp", which has many useful additions beyond the POSIX
features.

The second point is about availability of other tools to achieve
similar task. This is a "judgement call where this functionality
belong. There is no single right answer here. Such implementation can
be done with few lines of code in any scripting solution My main point
is that given that the very common use case for 'uniq' is combined
with other coreutils functions (sort, cut, sed), it make sense to have
an efficient implementation for  "counting unique values" available
within "coreutils", instead of sending the user to look for a solution
elsewhere, or to implement his own.

Hope this make sense.

Yair