Re: Simpler name for --no-clobber option

From: Leslie S Satenstein
Subject: Re: Simpler name for --no-clobber option
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 14:37:06 +0000 (UTC)

Just saw this message.     for --no-clobber,   would         --no-replace
suffice?   the latter could also be shortened to --nr.

Regards
 Leslie
 Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

    On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 10:32:19 a.m. GMT-4, Pádraig Brady
<address@hidden> wrote:

 On 11/03/2020 10:08, Tomas Zubiri wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm attaching a git patch for a small, easy improvement that would
> make cp easier and more pleasant to use and learn.
>
>  cp overwrites files by default, this can be disabled by using the
> command line option --no-clobber, the proposal is merely to introduce
> an alias called --no-overwrites.
>
> Please let me know if somebody would be willing to merge this in
> principle so we can move address fine details like testing and the
> technical approach used.
>
> For convenience, I'm pasting the patch below as well:

While the new name may be clearer
scripts using it would not be compat with older cp implementations.
Hence the incompatability introduced would not be worth it.

thanks,
Pádraig