Re: Where to locate source for find utility?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Where to locate source for find utility?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 16:45:52 -0500

On 9/26/19 4:40 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

it at https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils/tree/master/src.

That's a clone.  The canonical upstream is at:

https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git

While we don't mind the fact that a downstream clone exists, it is at
least worth pointing out the GNU stance on github (it unfortunately has
the current limitation of requiring users to run non-free software, and
thus should not be the canonical upstream of any GNU software):
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.en.html

Thanks Eric.

I thought https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils belonged to
Coreutils. I did not realize someone name-squatted on you.

No one has name-squatted. For those brave enough to visit the github site in spite of its non-free software, you can quickly ascertain that the developers in charge of the 'coreutils' name are also frequent contributors to this list, and set up the mirror as a courtesy to people who don't care quite as much about software freedoms. But just because the mirror exists doesn't mean we have to advertise it.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226