Re: RFC: rm --preserve-root=all to protect mount points

From: L A Walsh
Subject: Re: RFC: rm --preserve-root=all to protect mount points
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 01:16:47 -0700

Pádraig Brady wrote:
Rather than add a new option, I thought it cleaner
to extend the existing --preserve-root option to support
--preserve-root=all, as that can be interpreted to
preserve the root of all specified file systems.
---
My first comment was about hoping it wasn't going to become a default, but
more importantly: a mount != the root of a volume.

so 2) One might have many subdirs of a volume remounted in other
locations.  If the goal is to protect the root of a volume
and not merely all test & tmp that have sub-volumes mounted
on them, it seems prudent to test that the mount is
indeed the root of a volume.

3)  Also,  I've often used tmp dirs for testing that I
later wipe w/rm-fr, especially if I reuse the volume
for multiple tests. Scratch, test and development
volumes are often easily cleared off with rm.

4) are you only protecting mounts on a cmdline? or any mount
crawled by rm underneath cmdline args? Cuz if it is the 2nd,
wouldn't that already be handled by --one-file-system?

5a) I believe I pointed out that --one-file-system was flawed
in that it didn't limit deletions only to 1 file system, since
the option isn't really named --one-file-system-per-arg.
How many people want to delete multiple file systems at one
time by specifying them on the command line to clean out a dir,
like  rm  foo/* -- where * expands to various mount points
in the dir.

RFE1: Is there a reason not to fix that?  I.e. check that all args
are on 1 file system if that option is specified?

RFE2: Could '-x' as a short-op for that?  I can handle short
flags and would really rather see --one-file-system be enforced
at the cmdline lvl  as its name infers.

*cheers*...