Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unex

From: Eric Fischer
Subject: Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unexpand, fmt, fold, and pr
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:48:39 -0700

I have been informed that the legal paperwork is all in place, so I return
to the question of what I need to do to get my changes from

   https://github.com/ericfischer/coreutils/tree/multibyte

accepted into the standard coreutils distribution.

You probably don't want my tr, since I still do not transliterate bytes in
the middle of valid multibyte characters. Because we disagree about this, I
have also not followed through on solving the problem of how to portably
transliterate character classes without iterating through the entire
Unicode character range. Assaf Gordon's tr does transliterate in the middle
of characters, and as far as I know does everything else that tr needs to
do, so you should use Assaf's tr instead of mine.

My other tools pass Assaf's tests and (now with the addition of cut -nb,
which I hadn't done before) I believe are complete and correct for POSIX
requirements.

Are my changes to the tools other than tr acceptable to be merged? If not,
will you tell me what else needs to be done (style? performance?
portability? compatibility? documentation? tests?) to make them acceptable?
I have been told that the legal paperwork in place only gives me a month to
resolve whatever else needs to be done, so there is some urgency about this
from my perspective. Thanks,

Eric Fischer