Re: coreutils-8.29 released [stable]

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: coreutils-8.29 released [stable]
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 13:32:27 +0000

On 02/01/18 10:40, Michael wrote:
> * FAIL: tests/cp/preserve-mode
>
> Details:
>
> I assume this is what 'fails'
>
> ++ cut -b-10
> + test drwxr-sr-x = drwxr-xr-x
> + fail=1

This test was present but ineffective in previous releases.
It's indicating a disparity in the setgid bit
which is propagated with mkdir, but not cp --no-preserve=mode.
A quick test on ext4 on linux here shows that cp does propagate
the setgid bit, so I'd need to dig more to find the disparity.

cp uses the gnulib set_acl() functionality here,
and there are AIX specific code paths there,
so I presume this is what clears the setgid bit erroneously.

cheers,
Pádraig