Re: coreutils feature requests?

From: Erik Auerswald
Subject: Re: coreutils feature requests?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:12:15 +0200

Hi Lance,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 01:03:59PM -0400, Lance E Sloan wrote:
> [...]
> Even if this feature suggestion isn't approved by the GNU community, I will
> implement it for my own use anyway.  I can enjoy the new functionality
> (which I think should have been added to cut long ago) and keep it to
> myself or I can contribute it back to the online community.  I could
> distribute it as my own fork of GNU coreutils or as a patch to it.

If I may suggest you post a patch to this list and/or a GNU Coreutils bug
report, so that others can pick it up if they would like to. This does not
preclude you from any of the other options you mentioned.

> However, if it were merged into GNU's coreutils, it would get the most
> exposure and be helpful to more people.

One needs to look beyond the current quarter's earnings to see this. ;-)

Thanks,
Erik
--
Trying to understand [the GNU GPL] in terms of the goals and values
of open source is like trying [to] understand a CD drive's retractable