Re: Determination of file lists from selected folders without returning

From: SF Markus Elfring
Subject: Re: Determination of file lists from selected folders without returning directory names
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:45:25 +0200

> If you can write a benchmark where you write a simple .c program
> that can access just basenames of files from an arbitrary directory
> (or an enhancement to the find program), and show that your program
> outperforms baseline find for your given use case, and where the
> outperformance actually makes a difference to the overall usage pattern
> (that is, your benchmark also shows that it was much more than 1% of

I guess that I can not really achieve the kind of software improvement
which you would prefer.

> the overall time spent on producing then stripping the prefix data),

I am proposing only to reduce the influence of such a data transformation.

> then it is worth patching find to provide that mode of operation
> (and such proof belongs best on the findutils list).

I am curious if any other developers (than me) or system testers care
for this implementation detail around the topic “Better support for
data processing with basenames”.

Regards,
Markus