integrate bash read and history

From: Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
Subject: integrate bash read and history
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 19:44:13 +0000

When I abandoned the Korn shell for bash many years ago, I was never able to
fully convert some interactive scripts that maintained their own history file
allowing recall of previous entries. Scouring the archives, I was delighted
to find Matthew Cengia's post* from 2013 that shows how to do it.

He ends with the question, "I'm not sure whether there's a better way to
append to the history file than the echo above; hopefully somebody else can
improve on that." No one did, at least not threaded to his post.

I don't have any old Korn shell scripts to confirm, but IIRC, the Korn
shell's read command had this capability built in, although you still had to
play with HISTFILE, so I ask if it's reasonable to have bash's read command
do the same to avoid having to do the echo dance.

* http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bash/2013-02/msg00001.html

--Ken Nellis