Re: suggestion: ls --sort=date

From: Stephane Chazelas
Subject: Re: suggestion: ls --sort=date
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:07:23 +0000

2017-03-15 08:08:40 -0500, Eric Blake:
> I've frequently forgotten whether it is 'ls --sort=date' or 'ls
> --sort=time'.  Can we support both spellings, as synonyms, instead of me
> having to resort to the help output every time I guess wrong?
[...]

Some alternatives:

use the standard ls -t (which you can also use as a mnemonic to
know that it's --sort=time and not --sort=date as ls -d is not
about sorting)

Use a modern shell like zsh or fish that will offer you the
right completion (fish's has extra incorrect values though).

Other mnemonic: --sort=time goes with the --time option
to tell which of the atime, Btime, ctime, mtime time that
by-time sorting is done.

One may argue that if we add a --sort=date, we should also add a
--date=mdate/cdate/adate...

--
Stephane