Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.26.61-10d1d

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.26.61-10d1d
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 18:07:10 -0800

On 03/03/17 17:45, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 09:25:50AM -0800, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> You can download the coreutils snapshot in xz format (5.2 MB) from:
>>  https://pixelbeat.org/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
>>  ( coreutils-8.26.61-10d1d )
>
> Most of the issues were fixed, few minor issues remain - likely not show
> stoppers.
>
> 1.
> The Mac OS X issue ('test-lock') is fixed, no test failures.
>

> 2.
> On AIX7/PowerPC, the compilation succeeds (I think it's the first time for me)
> but the build fails due to 'help2man' issue:
> ===
> GEN      man/test.1
> help2man: can't get `--help' info from man/test.td/[
> Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 127.
> ===

I don't know how to avoid that as per:
http://bugs.gnu.org/20733#139
I'm guessing building with gmake is OK.

> 3.
> On OpenSolaris 5.10 x86/sparc, no test failures.
>
> On OpenSolaris 5.11 x86/sparc, no coreutils failures,
> but one gnulib test failed 'test-mbsalign'.
> This is already known:
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2015-07/msg00011.html
>

> 4.
> On Debian 7.6, 'tests/misc/cut-huge-range' still fails.
> Perhaps it's an issue with my tiny qemu virtual machine that has very
> little memory (512MB or less).

Interesting. The test may need to be marked expensive
though I've not looked in detail. Strange that system is impacted only.

> 5.
> On systems with very old 'makeinfo 4.8' (such as all OpenBSDs and
> FreeBSD 9/10) there is a small packaging regression that won't
> affect the actual release, but I'll report anyhow:
>
> The current 'coreutils.texi' contains texinfo commands that don't
> work in texinfo 4.8 - that is OK because the minimal version is 4.13.
>
> Normally this isn't a problem because the compiled 'coreutils.info'
> is pre-built and pacakged and does not need to be regenerated.
>
> However I suspect that in this current snapshot archive you've prepared
> you did not start from a 'maintainer-clean' or 'distclean' state.
> The result is that 'doc/stamp-vti' is newer than 'doc/version.texi'
> and 'make' needed to regenerate the 'info' file.

Ah I did not clean before hand.

> The entire test batch results are available here:
>   https://pretest.housegordon.org/q/coreutils-8.26.61

Looking good to release early next week I think.

thanks!
Pádraig