Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum

From: Mike Hodson
Subject: Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 14:28:34 -0600

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:34 AM, Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/10/16 05:59, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn wrote:
>> Hello, folks!
>>
>> It's been about a year since the last update in this thread. I was
>> reminded of it because I saw a well-intentioned project using "md5sum"
>> to let its users identify a specific distribution of its software. Of
>> course, md5sum is not secure for that!

Hello folks,

At the risk of going somewhat offtopic of this list, however, as this
is the one point of continual reference I have to the Blake2 hash in
common use (I am always interested in learning the new features of
Coreutils and have been a list reader for years now) I must pose the
question:

Due to md5's easy collision faults, when will the md5 algorithm be
-removed- from coreutils / other security implementations, to prevent
this sort of well-intentioned badness? When will "md5sum" spit out a
string "DO NOT USE THIS ANYMORE" instead of actually working as
historically was the case?

Some food for thought..

Mike