Re: #1303795 RFE: df output is non intuitive - multiple files residing i

From: Stephane Chazelas
Subject: Re: #1303795 RFE: df output is non intuitive - multiple files residing in current directory
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:53:42 +0000

2016-02-04 09:31:42 +0100, Bernhard Voelker:
[...]
> > I think df should provide an option to remove duplicates from output by
> > supporting --unique option like sort(1).
[...]
> I'm not too enthusiastic for such an option.  This is the first time
> I've seen someone doing "df *".  Although it doesn't seem to be explicitly
> specified by POSIX, I'd assume a consistent behavior like many other tools
> which do their job for each command line argument regardless whether it
> may make sense (stat, du) or maybe not (df, dirname).

Note that GNU du removes duplicates (which has been known to
surprise a few):

$ echo test > a
$ ln a b
$ ln -s a c
$ du a a b c
4       a
0       c
$ du -H a a b c
4       a

Not all implementations do that though (OS/X and Solaris, 2
certified Unices, don't, they don't deduplicate for df either).

--
Stephane