Re: stty: problem if IXON enabled and DC3 char was received

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: stty: problem if IXON enabled and DC3 char was received
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 22:47:11 +0000

On 06/01/16 21:55, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> On 01/06/2016 04:38 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> In the attached I've used a negatable "drain" special setting,
>> which I think is better due to being directly associated with
>> settings, and being reversible using standard stty syntax.
>
> I like [-]drain, too.
>
> As stty is a quite complex matter anyway, i.e., not for the average
> user, maybe we should mention that [-drain] uses TCSANOW vs.
> TCSADRAIN under the hood in the Texinfo manual, too?

Right, that's a close call.

This is definitely an option for sophisticated users,
though we should still be careful about mentioning implementation details.

Part of the reason I chose "drain" was so such sophisticated users
in the know might search for the HCF of TCSADRAIN and tcdrain().
I was also careful to add "nonblocking" to the index,
and to add "block" in the description.
If users web search for "stty" and "TCSANOW", then they'll get the source,
and if TCSANOW is significant to them, they can easily parse
that to get the "-drain" setting.

cheers,
Pádraig.