cat: FADV_DONTNEED option?

From: Jacek Wielemborek
Subject: cat: FADV_DONTNEED option?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:47:08 +0100

Hello,

I noticed that after running "cat" on a huge file, I'm getting problems
with system responsiveness, probably because my Linux kernel threw away
all the cached files from the unallocated region of RAM. I read up and
heard that fadvise(input_desc, 0, 0, FADV_DONTNEED) could solve my
problem. I had this idea that perhaps it would make sense to add another
command-line switch to cat that would trigger this fadvise(), adding a
way to increase performance in some cases? I could write a patch if
you're interested.

Cheers,
d33tah