Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 01:27:25 +0100

On 11/10/15 17:59, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Earlier in this discussion Pádraig Brady asked ¹ if we had submitted
> BLAKE2 for inclusion in openssl. We have ², but they haven't yet
> included it ³.
>
> Eventually, I think, openssl will support highly optimized
> implementations of BLAKE2, but I think it will be a long time before
> that is widely deployed and GNU coreutils can rely on it.
>
> In the meantime, could we go ahead and use the portable C reference
> implementation ⁴, or the even smaller RFC implementation ⁵?
>
> Here is the code for the "b2sum" command-line tool that comes with the
> reference implementation: ⁶
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko
>
> ¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2015-06/msg00011.html
> ² https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-dev/2015-June/001688.html
> ³
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.devel/30514/match=blake2
>https://github.com/BLAKE2/BLAKE2/blob/master/ref/blake2b-ref.c
>https://github.com/mjosaarinen/blake2_mjosref/blob/master/blake2b.c
>https://github.com/BLAKE2/BLAKE2/blob/master/b2sum/b2sum.c

Yes this is still on the cards for inclusion.
Thanks for summarizing the links.

RMS has stated in a previous thread that CC0 code is compat with the GPL,
and that we don't need copyright assignment for copies of external libs.
With that in mind we'll look at adding b2 possibly to gnulib,
but available in coreutils in any case.

thanks,
Pádraig.