Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX

From: Michael Felt
Subject: Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 18:56:59 +0200

And I should not have 'whined' - my apologies. I use the -g option several times a week, not quite daily. So it is 'sad' for me. C'est la vie.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Michael Felt <address@hidden> wrote:
I guess what I could do is look at creating an alias so that
a) look to see if df/du is not /usr/bin/df/du - and if so, use df -BG (I really hate using the shift key - extra key press, sigh - and two letters when one is possible)

It overrides/cannot be used with -o, -b, -e, -k, -n, -P and -t. With the exception of -k (which is rather obvious - mixing sizes would not make much sense, last option wins I guess) I will have to look up what the options do. Maybe I have used them before, but one I could quote the man page from memory for.

well, I guess it is because -o, -b, -e, -n are not known on AIX. for df at least.
root@x070:[/tmp]/usr/bin/df -o
/usr/bin/df: Not a recognized flag: o
Usage: df  [-P] | [-IMitv] [-gkm] [-s] [filesystem ...] [file ...]
root@x070:[/tmp]/usr/bin/df -b
/usr/bin/df: Not a recognized flag: b
Usage: df  [-P] | [-IMitv] [-gkm] [-s] [filesystem ...] [file ...]
root@x070:[/tmp]/usr/bin/df -e
/usr/bin/df: Not a recognized flag: e
Usage: df  [-P] | [-IMitv] [-gkm] [-s] [filesystem ...] [file ...]
root@x070:[/tmp]/usr/bin/df -n
/usr/bin/df: Not a recognized flag: n
Usage: df  [-P] | [-IMitv] [-gkm] [-s] [filesystem ...] [file ...]
root@x070:[/tmp]/usr/bin/df -t

Sigh.
Why -g as a size? Because storage is so big these days, and I hate doing the math in my head. And I will never learn to use -BG. It is easier to not build df - imho. It is portable - and when the need is for someone coming from linux to AIX, or solaris to AIX - could be an advantage.

Yes, I agree, hard to call it portable. Easier when only one system has it, and then call 'theirs' a bug, not portable when it comes in. C'est la vie. My problem - and I shall deal with it.

Thanks for listening.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/05/2015 10:22 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 05/06/15 15:24, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 06/05/2015 08:08 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
>>> Two 'core' commands I use often are df and ls.
>>>
>>> An easy option (I would hope) to add is '-g' for gigabytes.
>>>

> We'd already rejected that feature since df -g
> behaves differently on various platforms.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rejected_requests.html

Those threads mentioned that it behaves differently on Solaris, but
didn't say how, so I checked:

On Solaris:

     -g

         Prints the entire statvfs(2) structure. This  option  is
         used  only  for mounted file systems. It can not be used
         with the -o option. This option overrides  the  -b,  -e,
         -k, -n, -P, and -t options.

Which indeed makes it harder sale. -g is flat-out non-portable, since it
has different meanings on different platforms, and not supporting it at
all may be nicer to clue users in to the fact than it would be to pick
one way and alienate users of the other way.

But can we make it more obvious that -BG does the same as the proposal
for -g?

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266