compromise for case-challenged file systems?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: compromise for case-challenged file systems?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 16:34:13 -0700

I noticed that since the addition of the file,
tests/tail-2/F-vs-rename.sh, one can no longer
clone coreutils onto a case-challenged file system,
because there is also a file in that directory whose
name differs only in the case of the "f":

  tests/tail-2/f-vs-rename.sh

What do you think about fixing this?
Since it's easy to avoid, you may want to write a
syntax-check rule using something like this:

  $ git ls-files|tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'|sort|uniq -d
  tests/tail-2/f-vs-rename.sh

Actual consequence?
When I clone onto an hfs file system (OS/X), the initial
is shown as unclean, with tests/tail-2/F-vs-rename.sh
being shown as modified (with the differences to transform
it to the contents of the lower-case-named file).