Re: Document for + seems to be missing in ls' document

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: Document for + seems to be missing in ls' document
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 01:35:08 +0100

On 03/12/2015 09:49 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> We also want to minimize effort - maintaining full
> documentation by hand in both texinfo and roff formats would be too much
> effort, so we have to generate the man page from something.  It's easy
> to use help2man to generate man pages from --help output, but I don't
> know of any good conversion from texinfo to man.

I get the best result with 'pandoc' converting the .info file to markdown,
followed by 'ronn' converting the markdown to man.  The texi file would
have to be split per command, of course.  But I doubt that it would be easy
to maintain the current texinfo structure while at the same time being able
to have proper man pages with appropriate sections.
Furthermore, pandoc and ronn have quite a big list of dependencies (Haskell,
Ruby, ...).

Thus said, it seems there is no proper way to maintain the documentation
in one place to get both the texinfo manual and man pages.

> I have to wonder if you actually hate 'info', rather than 'texinfo'.

I prefer 'pinfo' over 'info' for viewing texinfo files.

Have a nice day,
Berny