Re: ls: change default color for directory

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: ls: change default color for directory
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:59:05 +0100

On 10/16/2014 02:26 PM, Siegfried Kiermayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm always wondering why the default color scheme of ls for the
> directory is such a bad readable blue.
>
> Is there any specific reason for this color? Is it possible to change it
> a little bit so it is better readable?

Traditionally there were few colors to play with (16 including bold).
The default dir color used is bright blue which IMHO is quite readable
on both white and black backgrounds.  Note I always disable "bold"
rendering of text on my terminal to just get the brighter color.
This will confirm you're seeing the upstream default:

  $ LS_COLORS='di=01;34' ls --color -d $PWD

Newer terminals support 256 or more colors, and some distros
like Fedora have this enabled by default for ls etc.
In the Fedora case at least we have:

  $ LS_COLORS='di=38;5;27' ls --color -d $PWD

That's the same color as the upstream default,
but without any bold width issues.

If you want to further tweak the color I suggest you
select one of the 256 colors from:

  http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/terminal_colours/#256

For tips on persisting that setting have a look at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/dircolors

Pádraig.