Re: New feature for 'wc': Filter lines by character count

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: New feature for 'wc': Filter lines by character count
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:51:56 +0100

On 04/03/2014 03:29 PM, SAeeD wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was parsing a log file some days ago, and it had about 1,600,000 lines. All
> lines in that log file were supposed to have a fix length of say, 140
> characters. Because of some noises on RS232 cable, some lines had fewer or
> much characters than 140.
> I was thinking of a program that let me knew how many lines have more/less
> characters than specified (here 140). I wrote a simple program for my purpose
> but I thought it is better to integrate this feature in a well-know
> frequently used tool like 'wc'.
> So, the usage would be something like:
> $ cat log.txt | wc --more-chars-than 140
> 9 (for instance)
> $ cat log.txt | wc --less-chars-than 140
> 11 (for instance)
>
> Filtering lines by number of word can also be added.
>
> I read the rejected features for coreutils at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rejected_requests.html and there was no
> feature request alike this one. I also searched the mailing list archive and
> did not find any discussion similiar.
>
> What's your opinion about this feature?
> I'm also volunteer and interested to implement it, if accepted.
>
> Thanks,
> SAeeD Ehteshamifar

While wc would be a place to add it if we were going to integrate this,
I'm thinking the functionality is a bit too specialized to add.
Existing tools can do this adequately I think. Consider:

  awk 'length($0) != 140' < log.txt | wc -l

thanks,
Pádraig.

p.s. Thanks for taking the time to read the
previous requests and following the correct process.