Why "id -Z" get the current process security context but says "of the cu

From: Yang Chengwei
Subject: Why "id -Z" get the current process security context but says "of the current user" in help?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:50:04 +0800

Hi List,

I found that both id manpage and its help info says something about
security context like:

  -Z, --context  print only the security context of the current user\n\

As it said, it gets the security context of *the current user*. However,
I found in its source code, it implemented in a way to get *the current
process* security context, in both SELinux and SMACK way.

As I understand, *the current process* whenever "id -Z" executed, it's
the id process, its security context doesn't equal *the current user*
security context. Right?

So far I haven't worked with SELinux a lot, but have some SMACk
experience, so currently "id -Z" in SMACK environment *only* works if *id*
hasn't itself SMACK64EXEC label, in that way, *id* will inherent the shell
security context, so the security context of *the current process* is
the same as security context of *the current user*. Otherwise, it will
surprise user, like me.

--
Thanks,
Chengwei