Re: `du` check for directory loop avoidance

From: Terry Bowling
Subject: Re: `du` check for directory loop avoidance
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:37:55 -0500

Hello all,

After discussing further in RH BZ 1045086 (http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2013-1652.htmlincludes), we I would like to discuss the following options with upstream for consistency.

1. Ensure the new warning for du is upstream: "mount point %s already traversed"

2. Ensure the other commands are using the same message for consistency (chcon, chmod, chown-core, remove)

3. Evaluate if a separate exit code for this condition is appropriate. This would allow for slightly easier scripting to check for this condition and rule out any concerns that the warning message might change in the future.

4. Evaluate find, ls - does it make sense for these to be consistent as well?

After discussing here, I will likely submit a BZ for #2 in against RHEL. And if all agree, I can submit a BZ for #3 and/or #4 as well.

Thanks to all in advance for discussing this and helping us work this out. I know it's a tedious topic. I will also document this behavior for RHEL & Fedora to provide a final document to direct all future inquiries so that we can quit discussing it in the future!
-Terry