Re: Full Julian date in date command formatting options?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Full Julian date in date command formatting options?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:13:03 -0600

Erik Auerswald wrote:

> >>I instinctively turned to 'date' for the full Julian date for
> >>astronomical purposes, but I concede that this is not an
> >>incredibly common use case.
>
> I'd say that 'date' is the natural program to try for date
> manipulations. ;-)
>
> GNU systems are very useful in scientific settings, IMHO adding full
> Julian date in the astronomical sense to 'date' further enhances
> this.

I will just say that when I played with amateur astronomy one of the
first things I did was write conversion routines to convert to and
from the Julian Day Number.  I wasn't writing in shell so it wasn't
something that 'date' would have helped me with doing.  But in
astronomy it seems like one of the fundamental operations.  I don't
know if there are many astronomers that program in shell though since
the shell is limited on high precision math.  But it would probably be
a useful program generating timestamps for example.

Bob