cut no longer works with newline as delimiter

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: cut no longer works with newline as delimiter
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:32:34 -0600

Volker Klasen opened a bug in the Debian bug tracker concerning a
change in behavior in cut.  I have CC'd the bug on this message.  I
have manually set an appropriate Reply-To header.

  http://bugs.debian.org/718898

There has been a lot of improvements made to cut.  But the issue is
this one.  In the older 8.13 this was the behavior:

$ printf "one\ntwo\n" | cut -d "
> " -f2
two

In the newer 8.21 this is the new behavior:

$ printf "one\ntwo\n" | cut -d "
> " -f2
one
two

Was this change intentional or accidental?

Bob

P.S. Of course using cut is a terrible way to select the second line.
I would use "awk 'NR==2'".  But that is a separate issue.