Re: rename: move command from util-linux to coreutils

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: rename: move command from util-linux to coreutils
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:07:22 +0200

Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On 07/17/2012 05:10 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Jim Meyering<address@hidden>  wrote:
>> [...]
>>> A few things should be changed regardless.
>>> For consistency with other GNU tools:
>>>
>>>    s/--test/--dry-run/
>>
>> I changed the option to '-u, --dry-run' which is exact match with mktemp.
>
> I don't like the short option '-u'. On debian, the PERL rename
> (/usr/bin/prename, see update-alternatives --list rename) uses the
> short option '-n' for dry-run functionality. Not sure about other
> rename programs.
>
> I'd prefer just the long option '--dry-run'.

I agree.  Using no short option is probably best,
especially when you realize that you can abbreviate
it as "--d" (assuming there's no other --d... option).

However, if you feel a short-named option is required,
then "-n" is more standard.  For example, GNU make and numerous
git commands provide -n as a synonym for --dry-run.