Re: cp with subdirectories following some pattern removed?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: cp with subdirectories following some pattern removed?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:49:24 +0100

On 07/11/2012 07:44 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>> I need to cp a directories with all the the subdirectories matching a
>> pattern removed (ignore all the test* subdirectories). There can be
>> many solutions to this problem. I'm wondering if anybody is aware of
>> an easy and robust solution. Thanks!
>
> I would use rsync for that:
>
>     rsync -avP --exclude='test*' A B

Nice one.
I learned today that rsync prunes whole branches based on the above.
I also notice rsync supports sophisticated --filter rules
which are not needed for simple filtering like this.

Note however that the 'test*' above should end in '/'
so as to apply to just directories and leave any test*
files (not under a test* dir) in the copy.

cheers,
Pádraig.