Re: How to explicte specify -t be the "non-blank to blank transition"?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: How to explicte specify -t be the "non-blank to blank transition"?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:59:05 +0100

On 03/28/2012 11:07 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't see a way to explicit set -t to "non-blank to blank
> transition", although implicit it is set so. Is there a way to
> explictly set -t to "non-blank to blank transition"?

No.

> More general, is
> there a way to set the separator to other transitions?

Not yet as there hasn't been sufficient need for it.

Currently, both `join` and `sort` take the -t option to specify
a field separator _character_. There was a related change
in `join` since v8.4-17-gf86bb69 where -t '' is used
to match on the whole line (which aligns with the
default operation of sort).

When implementing multi-byte character support for join
(not yet merged) I ensured that multiple bytes where allowed
only when they corresponded to a single character so
that in future we might support higher level functions like
'[:class:]'

cheers,
Pádraig.