Re: basename BSD compatibility and filter mode

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: basename BSD compatibility and filter mode
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 16:04:27 +0000

On 03/03/2012 02:10 PM, Jérémy Compostella wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm interesting in implementing these features:
>
> 1. basename BSD options and behavior compatibility:
>
> Add the following options:
> -s, --suffix: specify the suffix
> -a, --multiple: every argument is treated as a string as if basename
> were invoked with just one argument.

cool

> Moreover:
> - with more than two arguments basename acts as if -a was specified.

That would introduce an inconsistency if basename was run with 2 filenames.
So I think you must make -a explicit.

> - if -s is specified, act as if -a was specified too.

yes.

> Arguments for this feature is convenience and BSD compatibility. Let me
> know if this is sufficient to provide it in GNU/coreutils.
>
> 2. basesame acts as a filter:
>
> The http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2011-01/msg00086.html
> post convince me that maybe this feature is not relevant because there
> are actually other very simple ways to achieve this.
>
> What do you think?

Right. If basename is not taking from stding then
it doesn't need the -z option to split on \0 I think,
since xargs will do that for us:

find | xargs -r0 basename -a

cheers,
Pádraig.