Re: split: support unlimited number of split files

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: split: support unlimited number of split files
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:44:27 +0100

Hi Pádraig,

Finally, I found time to work again on this patch. I provided it as
attachment.

I'm not completely satisfied with the documentation part. I've tried to
be more specific but it becomes quickly complicated. So I get back the
original explanation which does not completely satisfied me since it
does not explain the following point:
- When -a is not specified:
  - output file names are considered exhausted when the first suffix
    character will become 'z'.
  -'z[a-z]' suffixes are never used
  - the fact that suffix length is increased each time the suffix are
  "exhausted".
But maybe it's not relevant to be so specific.

What is your opinion about this point ?

> Good. That's what I'd prefer anyway so as to be compatible with old
> data sets. Note '.' sorts before digits (-d) too, so there should be
> no ordering issues with --additional-suffix=... either.
In fact, it depends on the current locale. With my locale, "." is not
sorted this way.

Cheers,

Jérémy