Re: Adding humanize_number to coreutiles?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Adding humanize_number to coreutiles?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:45:52 +0000

On 02/07/2012 03:36 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several commands in coreutils have the -h option. I'm wondering
> whether anybody in the develop team also thinks that it is worthwhile
> to export it as a standalone command. If so, I'd recommend add such
> convenient command in coreutiles. As I don't find it anywhere else as
> a stand alone command.
>
> http://siarzhuk.dyndns.org/haiku/doxygen/coreutils_2lib_2human_8c_source.html#l00154

I've needed such functionality many times.
I'm thinking a printf format would be best to expose this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2011-08/msg00029.html

%H seems like it might cause compat problems in future.
%{human} is more descriptive and extensible, so I'm leaning towards that.
Any other suggestions appreciated.

I'll work on it this week.

cheers,
Pádraig.