Re: dd: add braces as requested by HACKING coding standard

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: dd: add braces as requested by HACKING coding standard
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 07:26:34 +0100

> I made a couple of meta changes:
>
> 1. Changed the tag of the commit message from dd: to maint:
> since this has no functional change to dd.  This helps when
> scanning the auto generated summary of changes.
>
> 2. You inconsistently use é and e in your name between git config
> and your emailer and patches on github.  I adjusted to using é
> as I presume that's more correct?
You presume right. I stopped to use accent in my git config a few months
ago because I noticed that sometime when my patch were integrated in
some projects, my name was badly written due to accent
encoding. However, I really do prefer do get my name correctly written
(with accent).

> 3. I removed the redundant Signed-Off line
Sorry, an habit from the Linux kernel. I will remove it from my config
for coreutils.

> 4. I summarised the file and function where the change was made
And fixed my bad grammar ... ;)

> 5. I removed the debbugs email address from the CC of this mail.
> address@hidden is best for patches.
>
> I hope these changes don't seem pedantic.
Absolutely not. You're perfectly right and moreover you take time to
explain what's wrong which is very rewarding for me.

> Keeping a consistent commit structure does help with ongoing
> maintenance.
If all developers in the world could hear you ...

> Also using a consistent format is quicker as less thinking is involved.
> Also tools like http://www.gnu.org/software/vc-dwim/ can be used
> if doing many such patches.

> I'll push the attached if you concur.
Let's got for it.