new snapshot available: coreutils-8.13.29-43a9

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: new snapshot available: coreutils-8.13.29-43a9
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:16:07 +0200

I want to release coreutils-8.14 early next week,
so here's a snapshot of the latest sources.
Please beat it up and let us know if there are any problems.

coreutils snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-8.13.29-43a9.tar.xz

There are .sig files here, too:
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-8.13.29-43a9.tar.xz

Here's the NEWS:

** Bug fixes

  ls --dereference no longer outputs erroneous "argetm" strings for
  dangling symlinks when an 'ln=target' entry is in $LS_COLORS.
  [bug introduced in fileutils-4.0]

  ls -lL symlink once again properly prints "+" when the referent has an ACL.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.13]

  sort -g no longer infloops for certain inputs containing NaNs
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.5]

** Improvements

  md5sum --check now supports the -r format from the corresponding BSD tool.
  This also affects sha1sum, sha224sum, sha384sum and sha512sum.

  pwd now works also on systems without openat.  On such systems, pwd
  would fail when run from a directory whose absolute name contained
  more than PATH_MAX / 3 components.  The df, stat and readlink programs
  are also affected due to their use of the canonicalize_* functions.

** Changes in behavior

  timeout now only processes the first signal received from the set
  it is handling (SIGTERM, SIGINT, ...).  This is to support systems that
  implicitly create threads for some timer functions (like GNU/kFreeBSD).

** Build-related

  "make dist" no longer builds .tar.gz files.
  xz is portable enough and in wide-enough use that distributing
  only .tar.xz files is enough.

Changes in coreutils since v8.13:

Bernhard Voelker (3):
      tests: introduce make targets check-expensive and check-very-expensive
      tests: mention new check-expensive/check-very-expensive in test logs
      build: let bootstrap resort to wget for downloading .po files

Bruno Haible (1):
      tests: init.sh: support any non-GNU diff

Eric Blake (1):
      doc: improve description of join's -a option

Jim Meyering (16):
      maint: post-release administrivia
      doc: fix typo in test script comment
      build: avoid unwarranted failure w/gcc-4.6.1 and --enable-gcc-warnings
      tests: cp-parents: don't let a failing chmod go unnoticed
      gnulib: update for getcwd fix on systems without openat
      maint: avoid new syntax-check failure
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      sort: avoid a NaN-induced infloop
      tests: update gnulib to latest, to fix test link failure
      ls: avoid reading beyond end of color indicator
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: stop distributing gzip'd releases;  xz is enough
      maint: clean up m4 syntax
      build: don't use automake's obsolete AM_C_PROTOTYPES macro
      tests: add a test to exercise today's ls-lL-vs-ACL bug
      doc: clean up NEWS

Markus Duft (2):
      build: accommodate missing setgroups on Interix
      build: use getgr*_nomembers functions on Interix

Paul Eggert (1):
      randread: add FIXME comment for RDRAND

Pádraig Brady (4):
      md5sum: handle BSD reversed format checksums
      timeout: handle implicitly created threads
      ls: fix output of dangling symlinks colored as target
      doc: mention the recent ls -L "argetm" fix in NEWS

Reuben Thomas (1):
      md5sum: clarify what is meant by binary/text flag.

Changes in gnulib since v8.13:

* gnulib da1717b...d813b68 (240):