Re: [coreutils] How to change the "Change" time? (touch)

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [coreutils] How to change the "Change" time? (touch)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 07:13:02 -0600

[re-adding the coreutils list]

On 08/06/2010 06:56 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Just out of curiosity, why do you think you need to change ctime in the
>> first place?  Maybe by asking the bigger picture question of what you
>> are really trying to do, we might be able to give you a better approach
>> to actually doing it.
>
> The "bigger" question is not really relevant to coreutiles. I had a
> Makefile that runs forever. I wanted to debug it. So I need to change
> the time. But I'm not sure which time GNU make use so I want to try to
> change all three times.

Maybe not relevant to coreutils, but including the list will help us
know that the issue has come to a resolution.  Make uses mtime (not
ctime) for timestamp comparisons.  Meanwhile, there is a project named
remake that provides an easier way to debug GNU make behavior over a
given makefile, by single stepping through commands and dependencies.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682