cons-discuss

Re: LaTeX

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: LaTeX
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:34:53 -0400

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 12:06:08PM -0400, Anurag Agarwal wrote:
> I am looking for a LaTeX builder. Cons has been working very well for me
> for c/c++ projects. Uptill now I have been using make to build tex
> files.  Basically conversion from *.tex -> .dvi -> .ps -> .pdf/html. But
> I have been having a lot of problems with make. Is anyone using cons for
> building LaTeX files? If so, would you be kind enough to share your
> module/builder.
[snip]

Here's what I do for building LaTeX files:

Depends $env 'grammar.dvi', 'grammar.toc';
Command $env 'grammar.dvi', 'grammar.tex', 'latex %<';
Command $env 'grammar.ps', 'grammar.dvi', 'dvips -f %< >%>';

Obviously, this can be improved on. Such as a better way of handling .toc
files (currently you need to echo>filename.toc before this will work), and
encapsulating all these explicit dependencies into a sub, so that you can
easily reuse it for large numbers of LaTeX files.

One reason that few people are aware there are programs running the internet
is that they never crash in any significant way: the free software underlying
the internet is reliable to the point of invisibility. -- Glyn Moody, from
the article "Giving it all away"