cons-discuss

Re: include path problems, or cons vs. make incompatability?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: include path problems, or cons vs. make incompatability?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:15:08 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> Thanks Steven. I thought my CPPPATH was defined properly:
>
> CPPPATH        => "$INCLUDE -I/home/okeefe/src/dirA",

No, that's not defining CPPPATH properly.  CPPPATH is a colon-separated
(semi-colon on Windows NT) path of include directories that Cons will
search for #include files *and* turn into -I options for you.  You don't
specify the -I option by hand.  So the proper form would be:

        CPPPATH => "$INCLUDE:/home/okeefe/src/dirA",

Where $INCLUDE is also a directory path, with no -I appended to the
beginning.

> The reason I didn't do this originally was to also have the $INCLUDE from
> my Construct file included in the inc search path. So, I just switched the
> order of these two as follows:
>
> CPPPATH        => "/home/okeefe/src/dirA -I$INCLUDE",
>
> and it works also. Interesting why the order matters for these, but this
> solves my problem. Thanks a lot!

Order had nothing to do with it.  It just didn't work for whichever
directory you had a -I stuck in front of.

        --SK