confuse-devel

Re: [Confuse-devel] questions about libconfuse code / conditional includ

From: Martin Hedenfalk
Subject: Re: [Confuse-devel] questions about libconfuse code / conditional includes...
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:07:37 +0100

18 feb 2008 kl. 22.29 skrev Wolfgang Dautermann:

Dear Libconfuse-team,
I was searching for a config file parser code, to include in our (GPL)
project. The libconfuse-code seems good for our purposes.

I have a few questions:
(a) Including the files in GPL Software is okay (as far as I know) - as
long as I leave the copyright-notice as it is?

Version 2.6 is licensed with the ISC license (similar to a 2-clause BSD license). As long as you conform to the license (ie, more or less just keep it there), you're free to do mostly what you want.

(b) I want to include the source files directly in our project (because I believe, libconfuse is not a standard library...). I have modified the
source, so that it compiles now within my project.

That's fine.

But why do you - for example - in confuse.c conditionally include
<stdlib.h>:

#ifdef HAVE_STDLIB_H
# include <stdlib.h>
#endif

- and in lexer.c not? (and the same with other includes...)

Yes, that seems a bit redundant. Systems without stdlib.h are broken anyway, or will need much more changes. I'll remove the #ifdef for the next version.

The library will not compile on system with a missing stdlib.h (since it
uses malloc() and that requires that include file). Right?
These conditional includes makes it harder to include the files in other
projects.

Of course I can remove that #ifdefs, but it would be easier, if I could
include the unmodified files...

Best regards,
Wolfgang

        -martin