cogitatio-interface

[Cogitatio-interface] inordinate

From: Kathleen Lang
Subject: [Cogitatio-interface] inordinate
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:44:15 +0200

It was now that I had my first real taste of fear. On the road up I had decided that therewas no stream in it, but almost at once I came to a spring.
The placesmelt dank and unused and mouldy, like a kirk in winter-time insome Highland glen. He tried again several times withoutresult.
But one had had his stand right in the breach, and with him I wouldhave difficulty.
The sight of this insuperable obstacle effectively put a stop to mybrief exhilaration of spirit.
Supposing there was someone on board, some one hostile, I would be completely at his mercy.
I looked back and saw a light twinkling at the gap.
Myintention was to join my fellows in the inn courtyard, and meetMaris there in the morning.
Butthere was no sign of Maris in the wide landscape. The fabric rose stark andsilent like a prison, and round it stood the wardens.
Our forces were divided with nolink of communication. Butfor all the comfort it gave me I might have been stretched onfrozen bricks in a dungeon. Janni, of course, was no swimmer, and besides, theresponsibility was on me.
But there was no answerfrom the sleeping bay.
It took us thebetter part of an hour to get abreast of the point where the wallended. That is to say, suchwas his intention, but he missed his aim and only grazed my littlefinger.
There, about two inthe morning, Maris found him.
I presented him with my emptycigarette-case, and he kissed me on both cheeks.
I could donothing till the night came again. But who owned it, and what wasit doing in this outlandish spot, where there was no landing? I noticed,too, that they kept their faces resolutely averted from the DancingFloor. When Maris met them they were padding along in abject panic.
Butthere was no sign of Maris in the wide landscape.
But my entrance had been observed, and the street was full ofpeople.
Ihad a sudden sense of things being predestined, of the ironicalfore-ordination of life. There was a fender amidships hanging over the port side.
It closed in on me from everyside, and yet made no sound.
The old man drew several buckets, and setabout cleaning the chancel, and I was glad to lend a hand. My lethargy hadgone, and I woke to a violent, anxious energy.
I followed the edge of the scarp as it rose to the highest pointwhere the wall ended. From below came thesound of dreamily moving water, of sleepy pigeons in the rocks. He brought me a coat and an ancientfelt hat, and made signs that I should put them on.
I have much to tell you, my friend, he said, but first I mustinterview his Holiness. It closed in on me from everyside, and yet made no sound. It reminded me of aJohn the Baptist by Donatello which I once saw in Venice.