-heap-size problem ?

From: T.D. Telford
Subject: -heap-size problem ?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 01:07:53 +0000 (UTC)

I recently posted a problem using big numbers that ran quite a bit slower than the current Racket.  Peter Bex supplied 2 patches that were a great improvement.

While trying to increase the speed I used the csc option
    -heap-size 1000M
where I varied the size from 1000M to 10000M.  I have 32 GB of memory and use linux mint 21.3.  In all cases I would get the run time message
    [panic] out of memory - heap full - execution terminated

If I don't use this option, the program runs ok.  The program is very recursive and uses big numbers (80 to 160 decimal digits).

Any ideas why this would occur?