Re: Need GUI (again), gauging interest in an alternative approach.

From: Vasilij Schneidermann
Subject: Re: Need GUI (again), gauging interest in an alternative approach.
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:33:54 +0100

Hello Matt,

> But, here we are, over 10 years later and IUP is still not available
> as an official Debian package and it is a burden to deploy. It is also
> still not supported on Mac.

The last I've heard on the topic was that the project has support for
the latest Ubuntu rather than Debian, but yes, this is a bad situation.

> NOTE: If hypergiant had a widget library with a decent text widget
> (line wrapping, copy/paste to the OS etc.) I'd have considered it.
> Raylib was also interesting and it's text support might have been
> adequate but the egg was never published and seems abandoned.

I've done some GUI work before and published a few eggs. The kiwi egg
does provide GUI widgets for use with SDL2. They are so-so in terms of
quality, but the source code is relatively simple to study. If your game
needs are simple, then you might get away with using or porting it.

One other alternative I've investigated specifically for use with
multimedia demos is nuklear. It implements an immediate mode GUI (IMGUI)
in form of a huge header file and requires the user to hook it up with
their toolkit and event loop. There are existing examples for using it
with SDL2 and such. I made an egg for C4 (the C5 port has been stalled
for silly reasons).

The IMGUI concept itself is simple and interesting enough to explore in
Scheme rather than C. Dear Imgui provides a more advanced version using
C++ and there is a tutorial by Casey Muratori for implementing your own.
I also recall Christian Kellermann to have implemented similar widgets
using that tutorial.

Vasilij