Re: Chicken 5 on Cygwin

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: Chicken 5 on Cygwin
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:58:04 +0100

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 01:07:21PM -0500, Claude Marinier wrote:
> AllĂ´,
>
> I see that Cygwin includes Chicken 4. This is not a problem at home where I
> can compile from sources. At work, I am working on approval for Cygwin as a
> whole. It would be nice if Cygwin included Chicken 5.
>
> Who is responsible for this? Is it the Chicken community?

I think it's the Cygwin project.  We are only responsible for ensuring
that it builds and runs correctly on Cygwin.  But I'm sure they'll
accept a patch if one of us sends it to them.

The real problem is keeping it up to date.  Just updating it to 5.3.0
should be a matter of sending a patch, but keeping it up to date,
following up when things break etc is something that really requires
someone who actively uses CHICKEN from Cygwin.

> Assuming we have to do this ourselves. How difficult is it to upgrade?

Shouldn't be too hard.  Build instructions are almost identical for
CHICKEN 4 and 5.

Cheers,
Peter