Re: How to share knowledge about known bugs?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: How to share knowledge about known bugs?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 21:23:21 +0100

Hi Jörg and all,

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:30:44 +0100 "Jörg F. Wittenberger"
<Joerg.Wittenberger@softeyes.net> wrote:

> one in a while I wonder how to handle a list of eggs not suitable for
> certain situations due to some undocumented internals.

I think a first step would be removing the "un" prefix from
"undocumented". :-)

> Examples like "egg used global variables" vs. "application uses egg
> from multiple threads" come to mind.
>
> Or the case with the "synch" egg, which, last time I checked, combined
> dynamic-wind and mutex use in a flawed way defeating the locking
> purpose.[1]
>
> So far I don't have a good idea how this could be dealt with.  Guess
> some kind of configurable/selectable blocklist would be in order.
> After all global variables are OK if you know there is only one thread
> or you know about them and ensure proper locking.
>
> Important I'd find that the lists and reason of listing should be
> shared somehow.  After all this is about learning undocumented
> things/facts/risks.

Usually we have sections in egg documentation about assumptions, known
bugs, limitations, caveats etc.  The documentation is in our wiki.
Everyone can make contributions to improve the quality of egg
documentation, including mentioning caveats.

Ideally bugs should be fixed, of course.  When they are discovered, they
should be at least reported (e.g., https://bugs.call-cc.org or whatever
issue tracker egg authors use).

I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean by "block list".  I
think the best we can do is document issues, really, and leave it up to
users to decide whether the issues are relevant for their use cases or
not.

All the best.
Mario
--