Re: What are the long-term goals for R7RS in Chicken?

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: Re: What are the long-term goals for R7RS in Chicken?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:42:18 +0200

> Is there a consensus on how deeply to integrate R7RS into Chicken? It
> seems mostly R7RS compliant as it stands. Are there any technical or
> ideological blockers to basing core Chicken on R7RS-small in the future?
>
> The main point of divergence seems to be the native module system, which
> offers a superset of the features of the R7RS library system. The common
> features look more or less compatible, and this impression is reinforced
> by the fact that you already have a useful r7rs egg.

A good question. I think the Chicken "native" language and module system
is likely to be used more often than a R7RS mode, so I don't think there are
any attempts to make Chicken "more R7RS". As you say, the differences
are not that substantial.
Currently you can switch to R7RS more by installing the egg and running csc
with "-R R7RS -X R7RS", which is a mouthful, and could be abbreviated, that
doesn't look to me like too much hassle.

Anybody for a "-r7rs" option that does the above?

felix