Re: Establishing Git repos for miscellaneous Chicken tools

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Establishing Git repos for miscellaneous Chicken tools
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:30:06 +0100

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:14:03 +0200 Lassi Kortela <lassi@lassi.io> wrote:

> We spoke with Mario and Dan about gathering Git repos for all the
> Chicken Emacs packages under one roof, and Dan suggested adding other
> tools such as an LSP server into the mix.
>
> We thought it'd be convenient to start an organization on GitHub or
> GitLab to do this, but are not sure whether the community accepts
> this. Any suggestions to the contrary? We could use code.call-cc.org,
> but is it simple to create organizations and teams there and receive
> notifications about commits?

call-cc.org doesn't provide fancy collaborative tools on top of git.
The workflow for merging changes in the repositories hosted there is
based on sending patches to people who have write access to the
repositories.  As far as I can tell, we have no plan to change that in
the foreseeable future.

I have no objections against using other git hosting solutions.  I'd
suggest, though, that we strive to keep things as simple as possible and
don't get locked in by using features that might screw us in the future
if (actually more like a matter of "when") the host goes out of
business, becomes too unstable, changes its services in ways that we
don't like, changes its terms of use to something that would be
unacceptable for such a project or any other reason.  Switching git
hosting solutions should be just a matter of changing the git URL.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario