Re: New C5 egg: SRFI-145: Assumptions

From: Jeremy Steward
Subject: Re: New C5 egg: SRFI-145: Assumptions
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 11:38:57 -0700

>> SRFI-121 is only in the C4 coop and likewise SRFI-158 only in the C5
>> one, so I don't see any need for removal.  A deprecation notice could
>be
>> added for SRFI-121 to the C4 wiki page.   If you insist you could add
>> stub C5 wiki page pointing out the existence of SRFI-158, much like
>it
>> was done with readline/breadline:
>https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/readline

Actually, CHICKEN 5 support for SRFI 121 was added earlier this year, so it
should be in the coop?

>Second, I think it's a good idea for Chicken to have more eggs rather
>than less because some people may look at the list of libraries or
>supported
>SRFIs as one of their considerations when choosing which language to
>use,
>so it just looks good for Chicken to have more eggs, when looked at
>from
>comparison tables like these:

I would disagree, in that sometimes less is more. SRFI names are baroque and
hard to parse in the first place, and presenting a (mostly false) choice to
users can create confusion and anxiety. I am completely on board with updating
the 121 docs to point to 158 over completely removing it from the coop, though,
so as not to yank the library out from anyone who may currently be using it
(and doesn't want a harsh transition).

I guess in essence, I don't want to pull a leftpad.js :-)
--
Jeremy Steward