Re: How to get a useful repl with Chicken 5?

From: Matt Welland
Subject: Re: How to get a useful repl with Chicken 5?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 04:30:29 -0700

For linenoise I was not able to get saving history to work.

I'm having trouble getting breadline to install on Ubuntu on this old laptop. I have libreadline-dev installed but when I do chicken-install breadline I get:

matt@matt-HP-EliteBook-6930p:~$ chicken-install breadline
building breadline
   /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/build-breadline -host -D compiling-extension -J -s -regenerate-import-libraries -setup-mode -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d1 breadline.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.so
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

Error: shell command terminated with non-zero exit status 256: 'gcc' '/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.o' -o '/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.so' -shared -lreadline -lncurses -L/opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/lib -Wl,-R/opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/lib -lchicken -lm -ldl
   /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/build-breadline -regenerate-import-libraries -setup-mode -static -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -emit-link-file /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.link -host -D compiling-extension -c -unit breadline -D compiling-static-extension -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d1 breadline.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.static.o
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
Package readline was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `readline.pc'
No package 'readline' found
   /opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/bin/csc -setup-mode -s -host -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d0 breadline.import.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.import.so
   /opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/bin/csc -host -D compiling-extension -J -s -regenerate-import-libraries -setup-mode -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d1 breadline-scheme-completion.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline-scheme-completion.so
   /opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/bin/csc -regenerate-import-libraries -setup-mode -static -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -emit-link-file /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline-scheme-completion.link -host -D compiling-extension -c -unit breadline-scheme-completion -D compiling-static-extension -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d1 breadline-scheme-completion.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline-scheme-completion.static.o
   /opt/chicken/5.1.0_WW45/bin/csc -setup-mode -s -host -I /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -C -I/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline -O2 -d0 breadline-scheme-completion.import.scm -o /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline-scheme-completion.import.so
  installing breadline
install: cannot stat '/home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.so': No such file or directory

Error: shell command terminated with nonzero exit code
256
"sh /home/matt/.cache/chicken-install/breadline/breadline.install.sh"

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:21 AM Vasilij Schneidermann <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Matt,

> I've read the docs on linenoise and breadline but I'm not seeing how to get
> a useful editable repl.
>
> Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've developed breadline.  Its wiki page has an examples section which
shows how to create a custom REPL for programs and points to
<https://github.com/wasamasa/breadline/tree/master/examples> for two
more examples, a `.csirc` (for your other scenario of customizing `csi`)
and how a simple completer can be created.

The story is similar with linenoise, its wiki page has an example
section for general use and a "Using linenoise in csi" one.  Did you
have issues with setting either up?

Vasilij

Complexity is your enemy. Any fool can make something complicated.
It is hard to keep things simple. - Richard Branson.