Re: Multi-platform app development options for chicken?

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: Multi-platform app development options for chicken?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:45:52 +0100

Hi Matt,

this is what I currently do to this end:

Since a while I'm using lambdanative.  It makes it easy for me to build
APKs.  Supports iOS too, though I never tried.  I make a Chicken build
for it (not avail upstream but I'll make it avail if anyone would like
it). Chicken running in a pthread talking to the Gambit pthread from
lambdanative via abstract socket.  To make it easier to control native
Android GUI elements, I ported the original JScheme (and very
slightly extended it, e.g., to enable contructors to dispatch on
argument types)[1].

The only thing I'm currently really, really missing is a way to have
select(2)able fd's for pthread-to-pthread communication under Windows.

My verdict: great it all you need is to quickly glue some GUI
together.  However: IUp is much more capable, but also harder
to use.

Complex user interfaces I rather do as Web applications.  The server in
Chicken on the loopback interface the GUI part (on Android) is the
webkit widget from Android, controled via LNjScheme.  (On Linux/Windows
it starts a Webbrowser.  iOS I did not tryso far.)

Best

/Jörg

[1]:
https://github.com/part-cw/lambdanative/tree/master/apps/DemoAndroidLNjScheme